What to wear to the gym
Greg R.
2005-03-03 12:03:02 UTC
I've never posted here before. If this has been covered recently, I couldn't
find it. I did a Google search and didn't find much. I'm in pretty good
shape, and not vain at all. Shy in fact. I have been working out at home,
and at the gym at my work for about 4 years, which is basically dead except
for a weight watcher's class 3 days a week. Most days I'm the only one in
the free weight area.

I just joined 24hr fitness, and can't wait to get started. At home or work,
I usually wear long black Otomix pants, a Golds Gym sleeveless shirt and
black Reebok sneaks. Or Power Builder terry cloth like shorts (great to wipe
sweat) and a tank. The think is, now that I'm going to be in public, I don't
want to walk in there looking like a 'prick.' You guys know what I mean. I
don't want to come off as a muscle-head or a coordinating outfit butt of
people's jokes. I just want to be anonymous, lost in the crowd kind of
thing.

I know the number one answer may be "What do you care?" That's easy to say,
but I think most people are self-conscious in a public gym if even a little
bit. No one likes to feel that people are looking at them and laughing. At
least I don't. So, generally speaking, what's good to wear to the gym?
Thanks.
Peter Allen
2005-03-03 12:24:34 UTC
Post by Greg R.
[...]
What you usually wear sounds fine.

Really, no-one will care unless you either walk in looking like Ali G or you
wear clothes you haven't washed for a month. People will care a lot more if
you start being an asshole with what you're doing. Don't:

stand in the middle of the free weights area doing bicep curls facing the
mirror and stroking your arms lovingly.
bash weights about and make weird noises.
occupy equipment when you're not using it; if you want to take a long time
between sets let someone else work in.
get loads of sweat all over the place and not wipe it up.
piss off everyone by using a power cage for curls.
leave heavy weights on a bar for someone else to put away when you're done.

Peter
Preacher
2005-03-03 13:41:26 UTC
Post by Peter Allen
What you usually wear sounds fine.
Really, no-one will care unless you either walk in looking like Ali G or you
wear clothes you haven't washed for a month. People will care a lot more if
stand in the middle of the free weights area doing bicep curls facing the
mirror and stroking your arms lovingly.
bash weights about and make weird noises.
occupy equipment when you're not using it; if you want to take a long time
between sets let someone else work in.
get loads of sweat all over the place and not wipe it up.
piss off everyone by using a power cage for curls.
leave heavy weights on a bar for someone else to put away when you're done.
There was a guy at our gym - only saw him once - who did nearly all of
the above in about 30 minutes. He seemed pretty strong, pushing large
amounts of weight, though his form on some of the exercises was awful.
But he made very loud noises when he lifted (grunting, shouting, and the
like) and clanged the weights against each other and on the ground. He
tried to occupy 3-4 weight areas at once (apparently he was doing some
sort of circuit training), even though the gym was full at about 5:30p,
and he had so many 45s on each bar/machine that someone would've had to
do a lot of work to work in with him. When a woman finally tried to, he
dismissed her and kept going about what he was doing.

A lot of people were looking at him after a while, but no one confronted
him. Most of the guys were just shaking their heads. He began shouting
at people he thought were looking at him. Finally, one of the trainers
went over to talk with him, and the guy started swearing at him and
berating him. Then he went back to "training". I was surprised when the
other trainers went and talked with the one who had confronted him, but
no one else talked to the guy.

I don't know what happened in the end, as we left, but I've never seen
that guy again. Presumably, they pulled his membership. Maybe they had
him forcibly removed as well.

Fwiw, he wore long pants and a sweater to work out in. So you might want
to avoid that look... :-)
Ed
2005-03-03 17:04:24 UTC
Post by Peter Allen
What you usually wear sounds fine.
Really, no-one will care unless you either walk in looking like Ali G or you
wear clothes you haven't washed for a month. People will care a lot more if
stand in the middle of the free weights area doing bicep curls facing the
mirror and stroking your arms lovingly.
bash weights about and make weird noises.
occupy equipment when you're not using it; if you want to take a long time
between sets let someone else work in.
get loads of sweat all over the place and not wipe it up.
piss off everyone by using a power cage for curls.
leave heavy weights on a bar for someone else to put away when you're done.
Peter
Wow. You must've been to my gym. All of the above applies on a daily
basis.

--
Ed
http://www.spweights.com
gman99
2005-03-03 12:52:37 UTC
Greg R. wrote:

Depends...if you're a girl in GOOD shape...as little as possible and as
tight fitting as possible. If your shape isn't that good the looser the
better. If you're male...who cares !
JWC
2005-03-03 13:57:41 UTC
Post by gman99
Depends...if you're a girl in GOOD shape...as little as possible and as
tight fitting as possible. If your shape isn't that good the looser the
better. If you're male...who cares !
I'd agree with this in general, though I'll also add that as a man,
you should avoid spandex or anything that has a spandex type fit.
I've seen guys in good and bad shape wearing spandex and it just
doesn't work under any circumstance.

Personally, I like lose fitting Under Armour shorts and T... or
anything else with moisture wicking properties (Nike drifit etc... all
make equivalents). They are light, comfortable and breathable.

http://www.underarmour.com/ua2/ua/gear.asp?dept%5Fid=1
Paul "Mr.Wonderful" Orndorff
2005-03-03 20:57:32 UTC
Post by Greg R.
[...]
Just wear a thong and some black boots. Don't let society try and force you
into looking like everyone else. Be an individual. Will you get made fun of
for your revealing attire? Yes. Will your ass get slapped by rowdy men? Yes.
Will you sleep well at night knowing that you are a true individual and a
true free thinker? YES! If you are concerned about your package, do what I
do. Stuff a dill pickle down there to help accentuate your bulge.
Delenn
2005-03-06 02:55:46 UTC
Post by Paul "Mr.Wonderful" Orndorff
Just wear a thong and some black boots. Don't let society try and force you
into looking like everyone else. Be an individual. Will you get made fun of
for your revealing attire? Yes. Will your ass get slapped by rowdy men? Yes.
Will you sleep well at night knowing that you are a true individual and a
true free thinker? YES! If you are concerned about your package, do what I
do. Stuff a dill pickle down there to help accentuate your bulge.
Excellent suggestions. I entirely approve.

Just one amendment: if you're going to swim PLEASE consider the issue of
drag and leave your baggy shorts at home. Speedos are the only sane choice.

HTH

Delenn, who prefers a gym with a view
Bob Falooley
2005-03-03 20:36:49 UTC
Post by Greg R.
[...]
Gym shorts, T-Shirt, Socks, and Sneakers. I like wearing my old gym
t-shirts with a squat bar stain across the shoulders, that says I mean
buisness more than a sleaveless shirt.

I have found that sleaves get in the way sometimes doing things like
cleans, jerks, military presses, and when I have a belt on. So I always
try to wear my old shirts so my new shirts don't get stretched out,
They need to be a little tight, and not have stains on them, to impress
the ladies when I am not in the gym.

--Falooley
John Hanson
2005-03-04 05:31:32 UTC
Post by Bob Falooley
Post by Greg R.
[...]
We all wear meet T-shirts almost exclusively. We'll even have 3 or 4
people show up in the exact same meet shirt (which is pretty rare as
some guys show up with shirts from 1992 or older). The ones that
don't usually complain about not getting the memo.
rick++
2005-03-03 21:18:37 UTC
Amusingly there are "dress-code" gyms in some cities
so the muscle men dont intimdate the ladies,
ike Q-club or Curves.
Fortunately not every gym. Theres enough people
who pay for dress-code gyms to make them profitable.
Larisa
2005-03-04 23:56:47 UTC
Post by rick++
Amusingly there are "dress-code" gyms in some cities
so the muscle men dont intimdate the ladies,
ike Q-club or Curves.
Good heavens - and deprive us of the pleasure of ogling gorgeous
muscles?

LM (very glad my gym doesn't have such a policy)
r***@hotmail.com
2005-03-07 21:06:55 UTC
I recall
-you had to have sleeves on your shirt
-no lycra/stretch outer layer, for gals too
-no torn clothes
-no sandals, for safety
Blair P. Houghton
2005-03-04 05:00:53 UTC
Post by Greg R.
I know the number one answer may be "What do you care?" That's easy to say,
but I think most people are self-conscious in a public gym if even a little
bit. No one likes to feel that people are looking at them and laughing. At
least I don't. So, generally speaking, what's good to wear to the gym?
Thanks.
I wear bike shorts and a T-shirt, because I always
include some bike time and I have a lot of T-shirts (the
team-building archetype of the '90s). I do worry that
my socks are jauntily scrunched down rather than dorkily
pulled up, but that's about it.

The gym will be full of all sorts of people in all sorts
of outfits. Nobody gives a damn. Just don't grunt like
a girl tennis player when you're doing lat pulldowns.

--Blair
"That guy's getting on my nerves."
John Hanson
2005-03-04 05:20:20 UTC
Post by Blair P. Houghton
Post by Greg R.
I know the number one answer may be "What do you care?" That's easy to say,
but I think most people are self-conscious in a public gym if even a little
bit. No one likes to feel that people are looking at them and laughing. At
least I don't. So, generally speaking, what's good to wear to the gym?
Thanks.
I wear bike shorts and a T-shirt, because I always
include some bike time and I have a lot of T-shirts (the
team-building archetype of the '90s). I do worry that
my socks are jauntily scrunched down rather than dorkily
pulled up, but that's about it.
Figures...what a wuss.
Chicks and fags wear outfits.
Delenn
2005-03-06 02:58:51 UTC
Post by John Hanson
Chicks and fags wear outfits.
You haven't met the triathlon guys. They shave their legs, go
everywhere in bike shorts (even running, 'cuz they just came off a
'brick') and they will do 15 reps of light weights, too.

But they're not fags. Endurance weenies, yes. Fags, no.

On that thought, may I recommend Lance Armstrong's suit?

Delenn
John Hanson
2005-03-06 17:25:17 UTC
Post by Delenn
Post by John Hanson
Chicks and fags wear outfits.
You haven't met the triathlon guys. They shave their legs, go
everywhere in bike shorts (even running, 'cuz they just came off a
'brick') and they will do 15 reps of light weights, too.
But they're not fags. Endurance weenies, yes. Fags, no.
Same thing.
Post by Delenn
On that thought, may I recommend Lance Armstrong's suit?
http://girl27.typepad.com/girl/liebowitz.jpg
Hmmm, I might have to try that. I have lost about 3 pounds of fat in
the last 2 weeks.
Gooserider
2005-03-06 18:03:08 UTC
Post by John Hanson
Post by Delenn
Post by John Hanson
Chicks and fags wear outfits.
You haven't met the triathlon guys. They shave their legs, go
everywhere in bike shorts (even running, 'cuz they just came off a
'brick') and they will do 15 reps of light weights, too.
But they're not fags. Endurance weenies, yes. Fags, no.
Same thing.
Come on, John. Endurance athletes have to be just as tough as strength
athletes, and endure high levels of pain to do their sport. Wussies or fags
they aren't. Nobody who completes the Ironman is a wuss.
John Hanson
People take me far too seriously sometimes.
Proton Soup
2005-03-07 20:21:04 UTC
On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 23:53:39 -0600, John Hanson
Post by John Hanson
Post by Gooserider
Post by John Hanson
Post by Delenn
Post by John Hanson
Chicks and fags wear outfits.
You haven't met the triathlon guys. They shave their legs, go
everywhere in bike shorts (even running, 'cuz they just came off a
'brick') and they will do 15 reps of light weights, too.
But they're not fags. Endurance weenies, yes. Fags, no.
Same thing.
Come on, John. Endurance athletes have to be just as tough as strength
athletes, and endure high levels of pain to do their sport. Wussies or fags
they aren't. Nobody who completes the Ironman is a wuss.
People take me far too seriously sometimes.
That's only because you never smile.

-----------
Proton Soup

"Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane
JWC
And because he's a pickle stuffing fag.
John Hanson
Only Canucks do that.
John Hanson
That explains it.
Charles
2005-03-04 08:45:54 UTC
Post by Blair P. Houghton
Post by Greg R.
I know the number one answer may be "What do you care?" That's easy to say,
but I think most people are self-conscious in a public gym if even a little
bit. No one likes to feel that people are looking at them and laughing. At
least I don't. So, generally speaking, what's good to wear to the gym?
Thanks.
I wear bike shorts and a T-shirt, because I always
include some bike time and I have a lot of T-shirts (the
team-building archetype of the '90s). I do worry that
my socks are jauntily scrunched down rather than dorkily
pulled up, but that's about it.
Aren't "bike shorts" somewhat immodest for a chap with a large
'lunch-box'? I wear rugby shorts over mine which protects my modesty,
while the "bike shorts" prevent people ogling my 'lunch-box' while I
am supine doing such things as abdom crunches! ;o)

Have a great weekend Blair - I intend to!! ;o)

TFIF!!
Blair P. Houghton
2005-03-08 06:04:08 UTC
Post by Charles
Post by Blair P. Houghton
I wear bike shorts and a T-shirt, because I always
include some bike time and I have a lot of T-shirts (the
team-building archetype of the '90s). I do worry that
my socks are jauntily scrunched down rather than dorkily
pulled up, but that's about it.
Aren't "bike shorts" somewhat immodest for a chap with a large
'lunch-box'? I wear rugby shorts over mine which protects my modesty,
while the "bike shorts" prevent people ogling my 'lunch-box' while I
am supine doing such things as abdom crunches! ;o)
Ever noticed me to be the slightest bit modest?
Post by Charles
Have a great weekend Blair - I intend to!! ;o)
I'll send you pictures of my lunch-box and ruin your next one.

--Blair
"You should hear the chicks in
spin-class hoot when someone does
something impressive on the chinning
bar just outside the window..."
Charles
2005-03-08 09:16:28 UTC
Post by Blair P. Houghton
Post by Charles
Post by Blair P. Houghton
I wear bike shorts and a T-shirt, because I always
include some bike time and I have a lot of T-shirts (the
team-building archetype of the '90s). I do worry that
my socks are jauntily scrunched down rather than dorkily
pulled up, but that's about it.
Aren't "bike shorts" somewhat immodest for a chap with a large
'lunch-box'? I wear rugby shorts over mine which protects my modesty,
while the "bike shorts" prevent people ogling my 'lunch-box' while I
am supine doing such things as abdom crunches! ;o)
Ever noticed me to be the slightest bit modest?
It is not noticeably one of your redeeming features!!
Post by Blair P. Houghton
Post by Charles
Have a great weekend Blair - I intend to!! ;o)
I'll send you pictures of my lunch-box and ruin your next one.
Don't bother, the induced thought alone has caused a temporary revolt
in the gastronomic process!!
Fred Lerner
2005-03-04 05:13:30 UTC
"Greg R." <So, generally speaking, what's good to wear to the gym?
Post by Greg R.
Thanks.
WEAR YOUR PANTIES, you freakin homo.
Poofter
2005-03-06 06:36:34 UTC
Don't be such a homo and just go work-out you damned faggot
John
2005-03-07 00:29:25 UTC
Post by Greg R.
[...]
I think the first thing you should do is see a shrink. Go in wearing pink,
but walk around pumped up looking like you'd kick anyone's ass that called
you a fag.
Jim
2005-03-07 00:49:21 UTC
Black sweatpants and a wifebeater....all you need..
However...sweatpants can be too restricting..karate pants! and the new Nike
shoes

http://niketown.nike.com/niketown/catalog/pdp.jsp?productId=82005&productGroup=71460&categoryId=52719&navType=MSF_3_NIKE_FREE_5&_requestid=893431

Jim
Gym Clothing USA
2018-05-09 08:01:40 UTC
Everyone wants to looks cool and stylish while workout. If you need gym clothing for men and women to flaunt in fashion, You can do it by buying affordable workout clothes from Gym Clothes, one of the best wholesale fitness apparel Manufacturers and Suppliers In USA.
For more details contact us at : https://www.gymclothes.com/