Xanax and Weight Training
brett
2004-02-27 07:18:38 UTC
This may seem like an odd question, but...

Is anyone aware of any adverse effects that the prescription medication
Xanax would have on weight-training? I have not trained since being
prescribed (1mg / day), but I want to get started back up soon. My main
concern is if I will be more prone to injury if I am lifting on medication.
I do not feel impaired physically, but the demands of weight training can be
quite strenuous, as we all know. Anyone with any knowledge on this matter?
Comments / advice appreciated.

Brett
unknown
2004-02-27 07:36:12 UTC
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 02:18:38 -0500, "brett"
Post by brett
This may seem like an odd question, but...
Is anyone aware of any adverse effects that the prescription medication
Xanax would have on weight-training? I have not trained since being
prescribed (1mg / day), but I want to get started back up soon. My main
concern is if I will be more prone to injury if I am lifting on medication.
I do not feel impaired physically, but the demands of weight training can be
quite strenuous, as we all know. Anyone with any knowledge on this matter?
Comments / advice appreciated.
Brett
I took it once. On the negative side, it made me a bit sleepy, which
was not so great working a desk job. On the positive side, I didn't
give a shit about anything. That could be good or bad. Might be a
good idea to plan everything out and approach it from an
intellectual/scientific perspective instead of going by how you feel.
That is, make a plan, write everything down, keep track of it all.

I honestly don't remember how it affected my tolerance to pain, but I
probably wouldn't have cared so much if it did hurt.

Proton Soup
John HUDSON
2004-02-27 09:02:05 UTC
Post by brett
This may seem like an odd question, but...
Is anyone aware of any adverse effects that the prescription medication
Xanax would have on weight-training? I have not trained since being
prescribed (1mg / day), but I want to get started back up soon. My main
concern is if I will be more prone to injury if I am lifting on medication.
I do not feel impaired physically, but the demands of weight training can be
quite strenuous, as we all know. Anyone with any knowledge on this matter?
Comments / advice appreciated.
Xanax is a very good anti-anxiety medication of the Benzodiazepine
class of drugs. If you are prescribed it for such a problem, which are
extremely commonplace, it is intended for only the short-term
alleviation of symptoms, or you risk long-term dependence.

Regular and vigorous exercise is a very good way of handling anxiety
and related problems Brett, and Xanax is no bar to your full and
active participation.
brett
2004-02-27 19:33:17 UTC
Post by brett
[...]
All points taken very well. I do suffer from extreme anxiety and show
symptoms of obsessive-compulsive behavior, but I exercise frequently to
alleviate that stress. For me, however, exercise isn't quite enough--I do
need anti-anxiety medication to function at a level where I can interact in
society and reach my full productive potential. But, this isn't
alt.abnormal.psychology, so, back to the topic.

I just finished my first workout since being prescribed Xanax, and to my
surprise I had no lack of energy, in fact I seemed to have a bit more energy
due to the fact that I'm not under so much stress anymore. At any rate, it
was a good workout, so I suppose I've answered my own questions on the
matter of benzodiazepines and weight-training.

As for the side effects / addiction potential of Xanax, I am indeed aware of
them, as I thoroughly research any substance I put into my body, but I
appreciate the input and concern. I am just especially glad that this
medication will not interefere with my workout regimine.

Take care,
Brett
John HUDSON
2004-02-27 22:13:18 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by brett
Comments / advice appreciated.
Xanax is a very good anti-anxiety medication of the Benzodiazepine
class of drugs. If you are prescribed it for such a problem, which are
extremely commonplace, it is intended for only the short-term
alleviation of symptoms, or you risk long-term dependence.
Regular and vigorous exercise is a very good way of handling anxiety
and related problems Brett, and Xanax is no bar to your full and
active participation.
All points taken very well. I do suffer from extreme anxiety and show
symptoms of obsessive-compulsive behavior, but I exercise frequently to
alleviate that stress. For me, however, exercise isn't quite enough--I do
need anti-anxiety medication to function at a level where I can interact in
society and reach my full productive potential. But, this isn't
alt.abnormal.psychology, so, back to the topic.
There are many people Brett, that may need medication for considerable
periods of time, maybe for life, in order to give them any semblance
of a normal existence.
Post by brett
I just finished my first workout since being prescribed Xanax, and to my
surprise I had no lack of energy, in fact I seemed to have a bit more energy
due to the fact that I'm not under so much stress anymore. At any rate, it
was a good workout, so I suppose I've answered my own questions on the
matter of benzodiazepines and weight-training.
I am delighted for you; long may it continue.
Post by brett
As for the side effects / addiction potential of Xanax,
It would be a mistake for you to confuse 'dependence' with
"addiction". You may well become dependent on prescription medication,
but you will not become "addicted".

You will find a dosage of Xanax which allows you to function happily
and well, and it is unlikely that dose will need to change or
increase. Equally, you will not be craving the medication or looking
for your next "fix"! You will take a regular amount at stipulated
times, and although it would be unwise to stop abruptly because
withdrawal symptoms are quite likely, it definitely won't be the
nightmare of "addiction"!
Post by brett
I am indeed aware of
them, as I thoroughly research any substance I put into my body, but I
appreciate the input and concern. I am just especially glad that this
medication will not interefere with my workout regimine.
I'm glad that you found that your 'anxieties' about working out were
groundless! Enjoy! ;o)
Neal Fabian
2004-02-28 20:41:13 UTC
Post by brett
Post by brett
Post by brett
Post by unknown
Post by brett
Comments / advice appreciated.
Xanax is a very good anti-anxiety medication of the Benzodiazepine
class of drugs. If you are prescribed it for such a problem, which are
extremely commonplace, it is intended for only the short-term
alleviation of symptoms, or you risk long-term dependence.
Regular and vigorous exercise is a very good way of handling anxiety
and related problems Brett, and Xanax is no bar to your full and
active participation.
All points taken very well. I do suffer from extreme anxiety and show
symptoms of obsessive-compulsive behavior, but I exercise frequently to
alleviate that stress.
Xanax is not the appropriate treatment for OCD, so I hope you're not
taking it for that. If you need meds for OCD, most shrinks as well
family practitioners prescribe the seratonin reuptake inhibitors, like
Prozac and Zoloft. If you have it under control though, well, just
leave it alone.
Post by brett
need anti-anxiety medication to function at a level where I can interact in
society and reach my full productive potential. But, this isn't
alt.abnormal.psychology, so, back to the topic.
The way you describe your condition, I'm amazed that you are getting
by on 1 mg a day. That's an extremely low dose; .75 is considered
minimum for any therapeutic effect.
Post by brett
I just finished my first workout since being prescribed Xanax, and to my
surprise I had no lack of energy, in fact I seemed to have a bit more energy
due to the fact that I'm not under so much stress anymore. At any rate, it
was a good workout, so I suppose I've answered my own questions on the
matter of benzodiazepines and weight-training.
There would be no effect except drowsiness, and you obviously aren't
bothered by that.
Post by brett
As for the side effects / addiction potential of Xanax,
It would be a mistake for you to confuse 'dependence' with
"addiction". You may well become dependent on prescription medication,
but you will not become "addicted".
Not so. The benzodiazapines are highly addictive, when taken over a
long period of time, which is usually the case with chronic anxiety
patients. True, there is a difference between dependence and
addiction. A patient is dependent upon insulin, but not addicted to
it. That's not the case with the benzos. Even if your anxiety
symptoms have subsided to the point where you no longer need
medication, and you won't know that until you withdraw from the meds,
you may have become addicted -- not just dependent, but addicted.
Upjohn states that whether or not everyone can successfully withdraw
from the drug has not been determined, and stated more specifically,
in its physicians brochures and in the PDR, that it is likely that
some people may not be able to withdraw from Xanax. That's not
dependency, that's addiction. In the case of the OP, it probably
won't be a problem, because his dose is so low, and addiction is found
in higher dose, long term patients, but it is something to keep in
mind.

SEE THE MOVIE!
___________________________________

HOW GOOD CAN YOU GET? is now up on my website, in NEW STUFF, on the
cover page. Check it out. Also, I have a new B&W addition to my
gallery, by a terrific photographer who is new to physique art. It's
in ABSOLUTELY...PART II.
___________________________________

My training program, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT
DEVELOPING YOUR BODY, is up on my website.
___________________________________

Neal Fabian
visit my website; BIO, PHOTOS & ARTICLES
training advice and much more -- come by and meet me
http://hometown.aol.com/nfabian/myhomepage/index.html
John HUDSON
2004-02-28 22:28:20 UTC
Post by brett
Post by brett
Post by brett
Post by unknown
Post by brett
[...]
The SSRI's or Anti-OCD medications control symptoms, but do not "cure"
the disorder. The usual and very often successful treatment is
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) by a qualified practioner.
Post by Neal Fabian
If you have it under control though, well, just
leave it alone.
We were addressing Brett's *anxiety* Neal, and the medication
prescribed for it. He was anxious that Xanax may have an adverse
effect on his "weight training". I assured him this would not be the
case.
Post by brett
need anti-anxiety medication to function at a level where I can interact in
society and reach my full productive potential. But, this isn't
alt.abnormal.psychology, so, back to the topic.
The way you describe your condition, I'm amazed that you are getting
by on 1 mg a day. That's an extremely low dose; .75 is considered
minimum for any therapeutic effect.
I mg of Xanax is the equivalent of 20 mg of Valium (Diazepam) which is
a quite high daily doseage for mild to moderate anxiety states; .75 mg
is 25% less than 1 mg!!
Post by brett
I just finished my first workout since being prescribed Xanax, and to my
surprise I had no lack of energy, in fact I seemed to have a bit more energy
due to the fact that I'm not under so much stress anymore. At any rate, it
was a good workout, so I suppose I've answered my own questions on the
matter of benzodiazepines and weight-training.
There would be no effect except drowsiness, and you obviously aren't
bothered by that.
There would be a considerable and noticeable relief from the symptoms
of anxiety. Drowsiness is easily dealt with by vigorous exercise!
Post by brett
As for the side effects / addiction potential of Xanax,
It would be a mistake for you to confuse 'dependence' with
"addiction". You may well become dependent on prescription medication,
but you will not become "addicted".
Not so. The benzodiazapines are highly addictive, when taken over a
long period of time, which is usually the case with chronic anxiety
patients. True, there is a difference between dependence and
addiction. A patient is dependent upon insulin, but not addicted to
it. That's not the case with the benzos. Even if your anxiety
symptoms have subsided to the point where you no longer need
medication, and you won't know that until you withdraw from the meds,
you may have become addicted -- not just dependent, but addicted.
"Dependence and addiction are not equivalent to each other:

ADDICTION

Addiction is a primary, chronic, neurobiologicneurobiological disease,
with genetic, psychosocial, and environmental factors influencing its
development and manifestations. It is characterized by behaviors that
include one or more of the following: impaired control over drug use,
compulsive use, continued use despite harm, and craving.

DEPENDENCE

Physical dependence is a state of adaptation that often includes
tolerance and is manifested by a drug class specific withdrawal
syndrome that can be produced by abrupt cessation, rapid dose
reduction, decreasing blood level of the drug, and/or administration
of an antagonist.

In the case of sedative drugs, spontaneous withdrawal may occur with
continued use. Tolerance is a state of adaptation in which exposure to
a drug induces changes that result in a diminution of one or more of
the drug's effects over time."

"The National Institute on Drug Abuse".
Post by Neal Fabian
Upjohn states that whether or not everyone can successfully withdraw
from the drug has not been determined, and stated more specifically,
in its physicians brochures and in the PDR, that it is likely that
some people may not be able to withdraw from Xanax.
If the predisposing condition for which the medication was prescribed
is still present, then it is unwise to attempt to withdraw, unless
their are other adverse clinical reasons.

I said: "it is intended for only the short-term alleviation of
symptoms, or you risk long-term dependence. There are many people
Post by Neal Fabian
That's not dependency, that's addiction. In the case of the OP, it probably
won't be a problem, because his dose is so low, and addiction is found
in higher dose, long term patients, but it is something to keep in
mind.
Many users of Benzodiazepines successfully withdraw from the
medication by following a strict tapering schedule, with no severe
undue affects.

You appear to attributing the OP's anxiety to me Neal; although later
in your post you transfer to criticism of the advice I gave him.

It is never a good idea to put negative thoughts in the mind of a
person suffering with anxiety. They need reassurance as well as
guidance.
Jim Ranieri
2004-02-28 23:17:40 UTC
You're a decent chap, Hudson.
David
well said, Jim. you seem decent as well
John HUDSON
2004-02-28 23:59:39 UTC
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:17:40 -0600, "Jim Ranieri"
Post by Jim Ranieri
Post by John HUDSON
It is never a good idea to put negative thoughts in the mind of a
person suffering with anxiety. They need reassurance as well as
guidance.
You're a decent chap, Hudson.
Thank's Jim, that's a nice thing to say. I don't get too many
compliments! ;o)
Jim Ranieri
Allright, then. That's enough civility.
John HUDSON
Quite right; we have our reputations to think of"! ;o)
Neal Fabian
2004-03-01 19:55:14 UTC
Post by brett
Post by Neal Fabian
Post by John HUDSON
Post by brett
Post by Neal Fabian
Post by John HUDSON
Post by brett
Post by Neal Fabian
Post by John HUDSON
Post by brett
Post by unknown
Post by brett
[...]
I don't know why you responded the way you did; it was superfluous. I
didn't say that SSRI's or anything else, "cured" anything, I just
wrote that they were the category of drugs most commonly prescribed
for OCD.
Post by brett
Post by Neal Fabian
If you have it under control though, well, just
leave it alone.
We were addressing Brett's *anxiety* Neal, and the medication
prescribed for it. He was anxious that Xanax may have an adverse
effect on his "weight training". I assured him this would not be the
case.
I know what was being addressed. Again, your response is superfluous.
I thought it was unclear as to whether or not the OP was taking Xanax
for OCD as well as for his anxiety, and if he was, I wrote that it
would be inappropriate for the OCD. That's all. As to your assurance
that he would feel no adverse effects on his lifting, how can you tell
someone that they will feel no effect from a drug that has, as its
principal adverse effect, drowsiness? Sorry, but the advice you gave
him was just wrong, across the board.

You're getting too defensive, John. Pop a Xanax; you'll feel better.
Post by brett
Post by brett
need anti-anxiety medication to function at a level where I can interact
in society and reach my full productive potential. But, this isn't
alt.abnormal.psychology, so, back to the topic.
The way you describe your condition, I'm amazed that you are getting
by on 1 mg a day. That's an extremely low dose; .75 is considered
minimum for any therapeutic effect.
I mg of Xanax is the equivalent of 20 mg of Valium (Diazepam) which is
a quite high daily doseage for mild to moderate anxiety states; .75 mg
is 25% less than 1 mg!!
You're not thinking, John. Diazepam is not alprazolam, your
comparison of numbers is meaningless. By your thinking, a single
aspirin tablet would probably be dangerous because it contains 325 mg.
You see? It doesn't make any sense. You obviously misunderstood my
sentence. Let me repeat it, using caps to emphasize the key words:
"... That's an extremely low dose; .75 is considered MINIMUM for ANY
therapeutic effect." Do you understand? I'm aware that 1 is more
than .75. My point was that .75 was the minimum that would likely
ever be prescribed for an adult, and that 1 mg seemed to me to be a
very low dose considering the way he described his condition. Most
commonly, 1.5 to 3 mg is the prescribed dosage for general anxiety.
For panic attacks, 4 mg is usually the minimum, with doses of up to 9,
yes 9, sometimes being prescribed (usually for institutionalized
patients).
Post by brett
Post by brett
I just finished my first workout since being prescribed Xanax, and to my
surprise I had no lack of energy, in fact I seemed to have a bit more energy
due to the fact that I'm not under so much stress anymore. At any rate, it
was a good workout, so I suppose I've answered my own questions on the
matter of benzodiazepines and weight-training.
There would be no effect except drowsiness, and you obviously aren't
bothered by that.
There would be a considerable and noticeable relief from the symptoms
of anxiety. Drowsiness is easily dealt with by vigorous exercise!
The issue being dealt with in that sentence, was side effects, not
efficacy. My comment was that the most common side effect was
drowsiness, and that he apparently wasn't bothered by that. That's
all I wrote; nothing more. BTW, where did you get the idea that
drowsiness induced by a soporific drug can be "easily" dealt with by
vigorous exercise? What more likely happens is, that the drowsiness
discourages or even prevents vigorous exercise, particularly in the
case of the weights, where concentration and form are prerequisites to
injury prevention.
Post by brett
Post by brett
As for the side effects / addiction potential of Xanax,
It would be a mistake for you to confuse 'dependence' with
"addiction". You may well become dependent on prescription medication,
but you will not become "addicted".
Not so. The benzodiazapines are highly addictive, when taken over a
long period of time, which is usually the case with chronic anxiety
patients. True, there is a difference between dependence and
addiction. A patient is dependent upon insulin, but not addicted to
it. That's not the case with the benzos. Even if your anxiety
symptoms have subsided to the point where you no longer need
medication, and you won't know that until you withdraw from the meds,
you may have become addicted -- not just dependent, but addicted.
Yes, thank you. I think that's what I wrote. Read it again.
Post by brett
[...]
Now what was the point in typing all that?
Post by Neal Fabian
That's not dependency, that's addiction. In the case of the OP, it probably
won't be a problem, because his dose is so low, and addiction is found
in higher dose, long term patients, but it is something to keep in
mind.
Many users of Benzodiazepines successfully withdraw from the
medication by following a strict tapering schedule, with no severe
undue affects.
Yes, of course they do. I didn't say they didn't. My point was that
Xanax is potentially a highly addictive drug, and that according to
its manufacturer, when withdrawal is appropriate, some people are
unable to do so. That's addiction, and it's not news, it's been known
for years.
Post by brett
You appear to attributing the OP's anxiety to me Neal; although later
in your post you transfer to criticism of the advice I gave him.
Well, no, I didn't think you suffered from anxiety when I did my
original post, but now I'm not so sure. My primary point was to
dispute your statement about there being no danger of addiction,
because that's simply not true. Your advice was, in fact, bad.
Post by brett
It is never a good idea to put negative thoughts in the mind of a
person suffering with anxiety. They need reassurance as well as
guidance.
Yes, that's true and it's also very sweet, but the point is that your
guidance vis-a-vis the potential for addiction, was simply wrong. No
need to take personal offense, everyone makes a mistake now and then
[OT follows], except of course for Mr. Potato Head, who simply is a
mistake.

SEE THE MOVIE!
___________________________________

William Brink
2004-02-28 22:32:34 UTC
Post by John HUDSON
It would be a mistake for you to confuse 'dependence' with
"addiction". You may well become dependent on prescription medication,
but you will not become "addicted".
You will find a dosage of Xanax which allows you to function happily
and well, and it is unlikely that dose will need to change or
increase.
You clearly know shit about benzo drugs.
Post by John HUDSON
Equally, you will not be craving the medication or looking
for your next "fix"! You will take a regular amount at stipulated
times, and although it would be unwise to stop abruptly because
withdrawal symptoms are quite likely, it definitely won't be the
nightmare of "addiction"!
The benzo based drugs, in particular xanax, are very addictive and very
hard to kick once addiction happens, and it happens faster then many
other drugs.
Post by John HUDSON
Post by brett
I am indeed aware of
them, as I thoroughly research any substance I put into my body, but I
appreciate the input and concern. I am just especially glad that this
medication will not interefere with my workout regimine.
Listen to John's advice here is to invite real trouble in your life.
--
Will Brink

http://www.brinkzone.com/
http://musclebuildingnutrition.com/
http://www.aboutsupplements.com/
John HUDSON
2004-02-28 22:47:45 UTC
Post by John HUDSON
Post by brett
I am indeed aware of
them, as I thoroughly research any substance I put into my body, but I
appreciate the input and concern. I am just especially glad that this
medication will not interefere with my workout regimine.
Listen to John's advice here is to invite real trouble in your life.
As usual Will you are very quick to condemn but offer no alternative
advice to the OP!! That will be a great help to someone suffering with
anxiety. What's he supposed to do, be a fucking gibbering idiot all
his life.

Are you aware that the treatment for mental ill-health is very limited
and is treated almost entirely by prescription drugs?
William Brink
2004-02-29 15:00:44 UTC
Post by John HUDSON
As usual Will you are very quick to condemn
And as usual, I am correct.
Post by John HUDSON
but offer no alternative
advice to the OP!!
My advice is not to listen to any of your advice on the topic.
Post by John HUDSON
That will be a great help to someone suffering with
anxiety.
Yes, ending up addicted to benzos due to poor advice will really help
his anxiety. More great advice John.
Post by John HUDSON
What's he supposed to do, be a fucking gibbering idiot all
his life.
There are far better drugs for that, and what he needs to do is work
with what ever shrink he is working with, vs getting poor advice from
you.
Post by John HUDSON
Are you aware that the treatment for mental ill-health is very limited
Incorrect.
Post by John HUDSON
and is treated almost entirely by prescription drugs?
Which of course is a huge mistake and simply masks the symptoms over
addressing causes. Pharm business wins again.

Kevin J
2004-02-29 15:44:47 UTC
Post by John HUDSON
That will be a great help to someone suffering with
anxiety.
Yes, ending up addicted to benzos due to poor advice will really help
his anxiety. More great advice John.
Will, you know a lot about fitness, probably sport psychology as well
- but you're showing that you don't know as much about addiction.

Benzos are kind of like opiate painkillers for addiction. People who
take them for legitimate reasons don't typically become addicted, when
given sufficient initial doses. It seems counterintuitive at first,
but people given a sub-optimal dose initially will be much more likely
to become addicted than when they aren't. People do become physically
habituated to the drug, but that is not the same thing as addiction.

Self-administration is also key - witness the use of
patient-controlled morphine pumps. This tends to lead to reduced
opiate use and reduced addiction. Don't cofuse this and think it's
merely reduced use that does it - a reduced periodic dose that doesn't
allow controll for breakthrough pain is more likely to lead to
addiction problems. Anxiety is like this, in that it is essential for
the patient to have access to something to rapidly control intense
anxiety, as in PAs, when necessary.

Benzos used alone are often like painting over rust. But they play an
important role as part of an overall strategy in combatting anxiety
disorders.

--

-Kevin J

remove spamburger to reply . . to my spam trap
John M. Williams
2004-02-29 18:01:03 UTC
Post by Kevin J
Post by John HUDSON
[...]
The drug-specific nature of addiction is much less important than
medical and scientific researchers used to think it was.
Physiological withdrawal symptoms used to be the touchstone of
addiction, but research and experience over the last century have
shown it to be a more minor player. Factors such as habituation,
method of induction, and expectancies have been shown to be major
players in severe addictions to drugs which have relatively minor
physiological withdrawal symptoms; crack cocaine is a good example.

For anyone to say, "Drug X is highly addictive, while Drug Y is not
addictive at all," ignores a whole host of other factors which have a
very substantial effect on genuine addiction. Attempts to fashion a
clear dichotomy between "addiction" and "dependency" are not very
effective or helpful because the line of demarcation is blurred and
highly dependent upon the individual user.
John HUDSON
2004-02-29 18:45:37 UTC
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 13:01:03 -0500, John M. Williams
Post by John M. Williams
Post by Kevin J
Post by John HUDSON
[...]
I don't disagree with any of this, other than the distinction between
"addiction" and "dependence"! It is of profound psychological
importance for the anxiety sufferer to know that this 'difference'
exists, even if the 'difference' may be considered by some to be
clinically or semantically "blurred"!!

Anxiety sufferers are by nature of their illness pessimistic and
hyper-sensitive; as a consequence they become 'anxious' about anything
that might suggest contra-indications with their medication and
treatment.

There is perhaps a great deal of placebo effect involved in the
treatment of anxiety sufferers, which a sympathetic and knowledgeable
person would not willingly attempt to undermine.
William Brink
2004-03-01 00:16:15 UTC
Post by John M. Williams
Post by Kevin J
[...]
All good points and true. My issue was if course with John telling this
person things like "You may well become dependent on prescription
medication, but you will not become addicted" as if he should not worry
about becoming dependent, as if there was a sharp line between the two
For example, the Merck on the topic:

"There are no proven differences between the biochemical, drug
dispositional, or physiologic responsiveness of persons who become
addicted or dependent and those of persons who do not, although such
differences have been vigorously sought." Thus, telling the person he
may become dependent but should not worry about addiction, is stupid
advice.

Or the other gem fromJohn:

"it is unlikely that dose will need to change or increase."

Benzos have a well known rapid onset of tolerance and within a matter of
weeks, the dose often needs to be increased to have the same effects the
prior dose had. It's one of the major drawbacks of benzo drugs,
especially the more rapid onset drugs in the benzo class, with xanax
being one of the most rapid onset of the benzos. This is why they want
people on for as short a time as possible, or at least one of the
reasons. Again, something the person he is working with will deal with
vs John giving bad advice. Now as far as Kevin's comment "sufficient
initial doses" reducing addiction/dependency issues, that's news to me.

John HUDSON
2004-03-01 00:52:40 UTC
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 00:16:15 GMT, William Brink
Post by William Brink
Post by John M. Williams
Post by Kevin J
[...]
Absolute nonsense! That is the case against the *recreational drug
addict*, not a sufferer of anxiety on prescribed medication.
Post by William Brink
It's one of the major drawbacks of benzo drugs,
especially the more rapid onset drugs in the benzo class, with xanax
being one of the most rapid onset of the benzos. This is why they want
people on for as short a time as possible, or at least one of the
reasons.
Again, something the person he is working with will deal with
vs John giving bad advice. Now as far as Kevin's comment "sufficient
initial doses" reducing addiction/dependency issues, that's news to me.
It's all "news to you" Will because you don't know what you are
talking about, which explains your contradictions and your
back-pedalling.

Xanax would not always be the first choice of Benzo due to its
relatively short half-life, but it has been subscribed by the OP's
doctor, it undoubtedly works and your blundering about undermining the
OP's confidence, is really most unhelpful and to no good purpose,
because you have no alternative advice or support to offer.
William Brink
2004-03-01 14:12:22 UTC
Post by William Brink
Post by John M. Williams
Post by Kevin J
[...]
I see, so the physiology of the "recreational drug addict" is different
then other people? Yet more proof even your basic knowledge of human
biology is lacking.
Post by John HUDSON
Post by William Brink
It's one of the major drawbacks of benzo drugs,
especially the more rapid onset drugs in the benzo class, with xanax
being one of the most rapid onset of the benzos. This is why they want
people on for as short a time as possible, or at least one of the
reasons.
Again, something the person he is working with will deal with
vs John giving bad advice. Now as far as Kevin's comment "sufficient
initial doses" reducing addiction/dependency issues, that's news to me.
It's all "news to you" Will because you don't know what you are
talking about, which explains your contradictions and your
back-pedalling.
Anyone here can see there was no back pedalling. Nice try.
Post by John HUDSON
Xanax would not always be the first choice of Benzo due to its
relatively short half-life, but it has been subscribed by the OP's
doctor,
So?
Post by John HUDSON
it undoubtedly works
Define works stupid. It "works" but has real issues your retarded self
clearly didnt know about and thus, you gave your typical stupid advice.
Post by John HUDSON
and your blundering about undermining the
OP's confidence,
No stupid, I am undermining your advice, not the OP. My advice was to
stick to OP and avoid morons like you.
Post by John HUDSON
is really most unhelpful and to no good purpose,
because you have no alternative advice or support to offer.
Incorrect as always, and no advice is better then poor advice, which you
gave.

John HUDSON
2004-03-01 15:30:56 UTC
Post by William Brink
Post by John M. Williams
Post by Kevin J
[...]
It's not about "physiology" or "biology" moron, it's all to to with
psychiatry, psychology and mental ill-health!!
Post by William Brink
Post by John HUDSON
Post by William Brink
It's one of the major drawbacks of benzo drugs,
especially the more rapid onset drugs in the benzo class, with xanax
being one of the most rapid onset of the benzos. This is why they want
people on for as short a time as possible, or at least one of the
reasons.
Again, something the person he is working with will deal with
vs John giving bad advice. Now as far as Kevin's comment "sufficient
initial doses" reducing addiction/dependency issues, that's news to me.
It's all "news to you" Will because you don't know what you are
talking about, which explains your contradictions and your
back-pedalling.
Anyone here can see there was no back pedalling. Nice try.
You're a slippery little bastard that's for sure!
Post by William Brink
Post by John HUDSON
Xanax would not always be the first choice of Benzo due to its
relatively short half-life, but it has been subscribed by the OP's
doctor,
So?
He's a lot better qualified than you to know what is best for his
patient.
Post by William Brink
Post by John HUDSON
it undoubtedly works
Define works stupid. It "works" but has real issues your retarded self
clearly didnt know about and thus, you gave your typical stupid advice.
The medication "works" because it helps the sufferer deal effectively
with the crippling symptoms of anxiety, which is what it is designed
to do, half-wit! (the idiotic and childish name-calling is your usual
style and invites retaliation, which I would much prefer to exclude)

I am well aware of potential problems with this group of drugs, which
I drew to the OP's attention; he assured *all of us* that he is well
aware.
Post by William Brink
Post by John HUDSON
and your blundering about undermining the
OP's confidence,
No stupid, I am undermining your advice, not the OP. My advice was to
stick to OP and avoid morons like you.
You simply have no idea what a prick you are!!
Post by William Brink
Post by John HUDSON
is really most unhelpful and to no good purpose,
because you have no alternative advice or support to offer.
Incorrect as always, and no advice is better then poor advice, which you
gave.
I gave support not medical advice; his doctor has advised him as to
the appropriate treatment, I was merely allaying his fears.

On the other hand you have offered nothing, other than idiotic
personal attempts to discredit me, in my support of Brett concerning
his anxiety about weight training while taking AX medication.
William Brink
2004-03-01 19:16:06 UTC
Post by William Brink
Post by John M. Williams
Post by Kevin J
[...]
Incorrect as always, as the psycology of the user has no bearing on
tolernace as far as it's physiology is concerned. Whether their is
addiction is a combination of the nature of the drug AND the psycology
of the user.
Post by John HUDSON
Post by William Brink
Post by William Brink
Post by John HUDSON
Xanax would not always be the first choice of Benzo due to its
relatively short half-life, but it has been subscribed by the OP's
doctor,
So?
He's a lot better qualified than you to know what is best for his
patient.
Exactly stupid.

MJL
2004-03-06 14:59:14 UTC
Post by John HUDSON
The medication "works" because it helps the sufferer deal effectively
with the crippling symptoms of anxiety, which is what it is designed
to do, half-wit! (the idiotic and childish name-calling is your usual
style and invites retaliation, which I would much prefer to exclude)
I am well aware of potential problems with this group of drugs, which
I drew to the OP's attention; he assured *all of us* that he is well
aware.
I think valium is just simply "right" for some people. It allows them
to function better, think better, and simply be more effective. I
believe in some cases there are physiological (genetic) causes of
anxiety that cannot be cured by psychological therapy.

I have not had a chance to research it but I do have an initial
impression that some persons are genetically disposed to have
insufficient GABA binding and hence a tendency to have a neural
excitability that is too high. I do have observed evidence however.

I have seen people on too much (makes them dopey), too little (like a
cat on a hot tin roof) and just right ("normal and productive"). How
much of this is environmental and how much is genetic is an open
question, in my mind. Perhaps others have looked into it? If genetic
then the long-term administration of benzos ought not be look upon so
negatively.
William Brink
2004-03-01 14:23:49 UTC
Post by John HUDSON
It's all "news to you" Will because you don't know what you are
talking about,
I would be more then happy to hear from Williams, Elzi, and Kevin as to
who they feel is giving the better advice here, or at least which
statements (yours vs mine) are correct in respect to this persons
issues. I will respect the conclusion of the judges. Will you?

John HUDSON
2004-03-01 15:58:04 UTC
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 14:23:49 GMT, William Brink
Post by William Brink
Post by John HUDSON
It's all "news to you" Will because you don't know what you are
talking about,
I would be more then happy to hear from Williams, Elzi, and Kevin as to
who they feel is giving the better advice here, or at least which
statements (yours vs mine) are correct in respect to this persons
issues. I will respect the conclusion of the judges. Will you?
What "advice" are *you* giving to Brett, other than to attempting to
malign his doctor's treatment and discrediting the help I offered him?

You fight your own battles you gutless little shit; you got yourself
into this situation by interfering in a thread that you had no
business entering. You had nothing to offer the OP and simply set
about destroying his confidence in what he had already been told.

Both Kevin and Williams have already contributed, and not negatively I
might add, and Elzi would surely have offered something if she felt I
was in any way acting against Brett's best interests.

It's not always about winning and losing an argument Will. In this
case it was about what is best for a chap with very real concerns. You
have done nothing but exacerbate his problems by being un-necessarily
spiteful to me!!

I probably haven't helped the poor fellow by being unwise enough to
respond to you in similar style!! But then this is MFW!!
William Brink
2004-03-01 19:06:42 UTC
Post by William Brink
Post by John HUDSON
It's all "news to you" Will because you don't know what you are
talking about,
I would be more then happy to hear from Williams, Elzi, and Kevin as to
who they feel is giving the better advice here, or at least which
statements (yours vs mine) are correct in respect to this persons
issues. I will respect the conclusion of the judges. Will you?
What "advice" are *you* giving to Brett, other than to attempting to
malign his doctor's treatment and discrediting the help I offered him?
And you accuse me of back peddle.

John HUDSON
And with a great deal of justification!
elzinator
2004-03-01 01:37:52 UTC
Post by William Brink
[...]
So, Will. How is it that you are so familiar with these
anti-psychotics?

Beelzibub

The human in us owes fealty to humanity. But the wolf in us acknowledges no master.
John HUDSON
2004-03-01 08:48:04 UTC
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:37:52 -0600, elzinator
Post by elzinator
Post by William Brink
[...]
He has probably been taking them for years to cope with his poor
self-esteem! Unfortunately, he has done little more than read on the
label what his daily dose is.
William Brink
2004-03-01 14:07:38 UTC
Post by elzinator
Post by William Brink
[...]
I assume that's sarcasm Ms Elzi? I am not an expert in anti psychotics,
and didn't claim to be, but do try and keep up on the basics as they are
of course like booz, everywhere in society, and even more common in
bodybuilding. I also know several research based phychologists who work
with drug therapies, and (sad to say) I just have known alot of nuts....
I have had a script myself in the past for benzos, but alweays keep
their use *very* limited due to above issues.

John HUDSON
2004-03-01 16:16:48 UTC
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 14:07:38 GMT, William Brink
Post by William Brink
Post by elzinator
Post by William Brink
[...]
What an absolute lot of tosh. Prescription medication is prescribed
for a given medical condition in the interests of health and wellness.

The use of alcohol is entirely voluntary and is used deliberately to
de-inhibit and to alter mood.
A little knowledge is dangerous!
William Brink
2004-03-01 19:17:04 UTC
Post by William Brink
Post by elzinator
Post by William Brink
[...]
As always, you miss the point.
Post by John HUDSON
Post by William Brink
everywhere in society, and even more common in
bodybuilding. I also know several research based phychologists who work
with drug therapies, and (sad to say) I just have known alot of nuts....
I have had a script myself in the past for benzos, but alweays keep
their use *very* limited due to above issues.
A little knowledge is dangerous!
Almost as dangerous as being stupid.

elzinator
2004-03-02 01:00:15 UTC
Post by William Brink
Post by elzinator
So, Will. How is it that you are so familiar with these
anti-psychotics?
I assume that's sarcasm Ms Elzi? I am not an expert in anti psychotics,
and didn't claim to be, but do try and keep up on the basics as they are
of course like booz, everywhere in society, and even more common in
bodybuilding. I also know several research based phychologists who work
with drug therapies, and (sad to say) I just have known alot of nuts....
I have had a script myself in the past for benzos, but alweays keep
their use *very* limited due to above issues.
'Sarcasm' in the context of derogatory, no. 'Teasing' would be a more
appropriate term. Regardless, I was curious.

David Cohen
2004-03-02 01:07:56 UTC
Post by elzinator
Post by elzinator
Post by William Brink
and didn't claim to be, but do try and keep up on the basics as they are
of course like booz, everywhere in society, and even more common in
bodybuilding. I also know several research based phychologists who work
with drug therapies, and (sad to say) I just have known alot of nuts....
I have had a script myself in the past for benzos, but alweays keep
their use *very* limited due to above issues.
'Sarcasm' in the context of derogatory, no. 'Teasing' would be a more
appropriate term. Regardless, I was curious.
Benzodiazepines are not anti-psychotic, and will you two get a room :)

David
John HUDSON
2004-03-02 09:06:59 UTC
On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 01:07:56 GMT, "David Cohen"
Post by William Brink
Post by elzinator
Post by elzinator
appropriate term. Regardless, I was curious.
Benzodiazepines are not anti-psychotic,
I have already made this clear much earlier in the thread, but thank
you for your supportive confirmation. (Will Brink please note)
John M. Williams
2004-03-02 13:10:32 UTC
Post by John HUDSON
Post by David Cohen
Benzodiazepines are not anti-psychotic,
I have already made this clear much earlier in the thread, but thank
you for your supportive confirmation. (Will Brink please note)
I think that impression is out there because benzodiazepines (it seems
that clonzazepam aka Klonopin is the current favorite) are often used
as an adjunct therapy to reduce agitated states in bipolar affective
disorder. But they really don't do anything toward preventing
manic-depressive cycling. That's what the atypical antipsychotics
(and lithium) are targeting.
John HUDSON
2004-03-02 14:08:31 UTC
On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 08:10:32 -0500, John M. Williams
Post by John M. Williams
Post by John HUDSON
Post by David Cohen
Benzodiazepines are not anti-psychotic,
I have already made this clear much earlier in the thread, but thank
you for your supportive confirmation. (Will Brink please note)
I think that impression is out there because benzodiazepines (it seems
that clonzazepam aka Klonopin is the current favorite) are often used
as an adjunct therapy to reduce agitated states in bipolar affective
disorder. But they really don't do anything toward preventing
manic-depressive cycling. That's what the atypical antipsychotics
(and lithium) are targeting.
Lithium, as you quite rightly said, is the best known medication for
Bipolar, along with clozapine (Clozaril), loxapine (Loxitane),
olanzapine (Zyprexa), and quetiapine (Seroquel).

I agree that hypnotic benzodiazepines are sometimes used, particularly
clonazepam or lorazepam, mainly to induce sleep in escalating bipolar
patients.

Many people are of the impression that anti-depression medication is
widely used for patients presenting symptoms of bipolar, but this
medication can be unpredictable and prone to the precipitation of
mania in such patients.

As you are no doubt aware, the anti-psychotic drugs are used to treat
symptoms of acute or chronic psychosis, including schizophrenia, mania
and delusional disorders. There are several other uses for these
drugs including Tourette's Syndrome, and impulsive/aggressive
behavior.

Will was way off course when linking Benzodiazepines to such
disorders!

Thank you for bringing civilised discussion of a very interesting
topic into the thread.
John HUDSON
2004-02-29 18:09:07 UTC
Post by John HUDSON
[...]
Quite frankly, ill-informed gossip such as Will is spreading, is not
only an indication of his ignorance, but downright unhelpful to those
unfortunate souls who suffer such crippling illnesses.

It's the equivalent 'therapy' to that of whacking the plaster cast of
an accident victim with a broken leg, with the heavy end of a baseball
bat!!

Anxiety and depression sufferers need and deserve to be treated with a
great deal more sympathy and tact. Telling one of them that their
doctor's advice and medication is totally useless, is abrasive, oafish
and extremely counter-productive!!

Get a grip on reality Will and stop being such a smart-arse!!
q***@gmail.com
2018-08-17 14:36:30 UTC
Stephen McDonald is a scammer be aware!!!

William Brink
2004-02-29 23:31:29 UTC
Post by John HUDSON
That will be a great help to someone suffering with
anxiety.
Yes, ending up addicted to benzos due to poor advice will really help
his anxiety. More great advice John.
Will, you know a lot about fitness, probably sport psychology as well
- but you're showing that you don't know as much about addiction.
Benzos are kind of like opiate painkillers for addiction. People who
take them for legitimate reasons don't typically become addicted, when
given sufficient initial doses.
That has zero to do with my major points.
Post by Kevin J
It seems counterintuitive at first,
but people given a sub-optimal dose initially will be much more likely
to become addicted than when they aren't. People do become physically
habituated to the drug, but that is not the same thing as addiction.
Self-administration is also key - witness the use of
patient-controlled morphine pumps. This tends to lead to reduced
opiate use and reduced addiction. Don't cofuse this and think it's
merely reduced use that does it - a reduced periodic dose that doesn't
allow controll for breakthrough pain is more likely to lead to
addiction problems. Anxiety is like this, in that it is essential for
the patient to have access to something to rapidly control intense
anxiety, as in PAs, when necessary.
Again, nothing to do with my major points.
Post by Kevin J
Benzos used alone are often like painting over rust. But they play an
important role as part of an overall strategy in combatting anxiety
disorders.
Never said they didn't did I?

John HUDSON
2004-02-29 23:45:51 UTC
Post by Kevin J
Benzos used alone are often like painting over rust. But they play an
important role as part of an overall strategy in combatting anxiety
disorders.
Never said they didn't did I?
I think this 'wriggling' little response sums up indeed just what you
do know about this unhappy problem, which is as I said, precisely fuck
all.

Stick to what you do best Will, whatever it is!! ;o)
David
Very funny! .
John HUDSON
2004-03-01 09:05:41 UTC
Post by Kevin J
Benzos used alone are often like painting over rust. But they play an
important role as part of an overall strategy in combatting anxiety
disorders.
Never said they didn't did I?
I think this 'wriggling' little response sums up indeed just what you
do know about this unhappy problem, which is as I said, precisely fuck
all.
Stick to what you do best Will, whatever it is!! ;o)
Very funny! .
Which is a lot more than he ever achieves, miserable prick!

Ugh! It's Monday again and I'm 4 lbs up on Friday!!
David
mostly muscle I'm sure!
Kevin J
2004-03-01 05:15:25 UTC
Post by Kevin J
important role as part of an overall strategy in combatting anxiety
disorders.
Never said they didn't did I?
No, suppose you didn't. You _were_ kinda fear-mongering - though I
agree it's prudent to have respect for addictive substances.
Addiction shouldn't be a significant risk if the drugs are properly
prescribed and used, though I'm aware that isn't always the case.

John HUDSON
2004-03-01 09:11:13 UTC
Post by Kevin J
important role as part of an overall strategy in combatting anxiety
disorders.
Never said they didn't did I?
No, suppose you didn't. You _were_ kinda fear-mongering - though I
agree it's prudent to have respect for addictive substances.
Addiction shouldn't be a significant risk if the drugs are properly
prescribed and used, though I'm aware that isn't always the case.
Such idiots with little or no knowledge of the huge problems involved
and the damage they cause, are blundering around and bludgeoning the
sensitivities of the mentally ill, and are an absolute bloody menace.

No doubt Mr Brink subscribes to the "pull yourself together man" kind
of therapeutic treatment!!
William Brink
2004-03-01 14:15:04 UTC
Post by Kevin J
important role as part of an overall strategy in combatting anxiety
disorders.
Never said they didn't did I?
No, suppose you didn't. You _were_ kinda fear-mongering -
I don't see how, but OK. I was simply trying to counter John's advice,
which was incorrect, at least in my view.
Post by John HUDSON
though I
agree it's prudent to have respect for addictive substances.
Which was my major point.
Post by John HUDSON
Addiction shouldn't be a significant risk if the drugs are properly
prescribed
And as important of course, the risk of one may be offset by the more
perssing issue, but that again was not my point.
Post by John HUDSON
and used, though I'm aware that isn't always the case.
Especially when some moron like John tells you they are like candy.

John HUDSON
2004-03-01 15:43:10 UTC
Post by Kevin J
important role as part of an overall strategy in combatting anxiety
disorders.
Never said they didn't did I?
No, suppose you didn't. You _were_ kinda fear-mongering -
I don't see how, but OK. I was simply trying to counter John's advice,
which was incorrect, at least in my view.
How can reassuring a person suffering with anxiety be wrong?
Post by William Brink
Post by John HUDSON
though I
agree it's prudent to have respect for addictive substances.
Which was my major point.
You have no "major point", your simply being a nasty little bumptious
prick!!
Post by William Brink
Post by John HUDSON
Addiction shouldn't be a significant risk if the drugs are properly
prescribed
And as important of course, the risk of one may be offset by the more
perssing issue, but that again was not my point.
Well it was certainly the OP's doctor's point when he prescribed the
medication, and it was certainly mine when I was supporting and
reassuring him!!
Post by William Brink
Post by John HUDSON
and used, though I'm aware that isn't always the case.
Especially when some moron like John tells you they are like candy.
I have no views for or against benzos, I am all for people getting and
staying well. Accordingly I wrote some time ago:

"I advise that if you can manage without the use of drugs then it is
in your best interests to do so. There is no doubt that in some people
the benzodiazepine group of drugs (and other similar preparations) can
and do produce symptoms that can be debilitating and distressing.

However, this group of drugs play a major part in the treatment of
mental illness, including anxiety and depression. Some people's lives
can be improved dramatically by the use of these drugs, and some may
need to use the drugs over prolonged periods of time (sometimes for
life) in order to live any semblance of a happy and productive
existence. Stopping the use of these drugs, before the condition for
which they were prescribed has been overcome, is extremely unwise.

It is therefore imperative that those unfortunate people who have
found it necessary to use these drugs for extended periods of time,
should consult with their doctors to evaluate whether they should
consider reducing their medication, or taper off the drugs completely.
It is only common sense to acknowledge that if the drugs are no longer
working, and their ingestion is causing unpleasant side-effects then a
carefully managed taper should be considered and implemented.

It also is only common sense to realise that if you are taking this
group of drugs, and you are feeling and functioning well, then it is
probably unwise to change the status quo simply for the sake of it. It
is sheer lunacy to swap a comfortable and well-functioning lifestyle
for one of protracted physical pain and extreme anxiety, simply to try
and follow blinkered advice to taper off all anti-anxiety medication.

Only you will know what is really best for you. You must not take too
literally the daily drivel you will come across in the various support
groups. Most of the members of such groups are well-intentioned - if
somewhat misinformed! However, there are others in such groups who
have agendas all of their own, and you must beware following the
somewhat severe line that these individuals/groupings propound. You
should also be aware that the mind is susceptible to outside
influence, and the daily symptom swapping, the constant violent
arguments, the posturing of the leading personalities - and the
warnings of "dreadful things to come", can raise anxiety levels and be
counter-productive to your well-being.

The Benzodiazepine group of drugs is supposed to be prescribed
short-term (2 – 4 weeks) for the alleviation of anxiety and insomnia
that is causing distress. In reality the drugs are provided for a
whole plethora of mental health problems for considerable periods of
time. Long-term users in excess of 30 years are quite common. However,
given that there are very few alternatives in the treatment of mental
health problems, there is very little else a busy doctor can do to
help an enormous number of patients presenting symptoms of these very
real illnesses. The only other alternatives being psychiatric
consultation and cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT).

The anxious personality is often an addictive sort of person, who will
quickly become dependent on whatever medication is prescribed. They
will press the doctor to prescribe them something for what are real
and frightening problems, and for many of them the anti-anxiety and
anti-depressant group of medications are real lifesavers. It keeps
them on an even keel and although much of the effect must be
considered placebo, the anxiety is nevertheless relieved because the
patient believes that the medication is coping on their behalf. Repeat
prescriptions without ever seeing the doctor become the norm and that
is how a large section of the population cope with everyday life. The
threat of removal of their medication can prompt relapse and cause
considerable distress.

However, in these litigious times, there are an increasing number of
people who see the medical profession as an easy target for their
speculative litigation ambitions. Websites and support groups abound
on the internet, where it is not only encouraged to blame doctors and
drug companies for the problems of mental health, but people are being
actively instructed to consider medical practitioners as criminals,
together with pharmaceutical companies, for prescribing and
manufacturing medication that contributes to a whole range of
allegedly associated problems.

It has to be considered that many of the aspiring litigants may well
not be genuine sufferers from benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms –
which do in fact exist! Or it may be that they are exaggerating very
minor symptoms. It cannot be too much of coincidence that the not
inconsiderable list of withdrawal symptoms for Benzodiazepines, is
almost identical to that for the artificial sweetener Aspartame, the
Gulf War syndrome and the Organo-Phosphate syndrome, alleged
“sufferers” of which all have similar websites and support groups, and
all of which are similarly pursuing legal action for financial
compensation.

The related support groups and websites are veritable breeding grounds
for the fomentation of ideas, for the cunning to assume the problems
which are discussed and exaggerated ad nauseam on a daily basis. The
whole language is one of confrontation and members are encouraged to
consider their ‘dependence’ on prescribed medication as “addiction”!
This is not the case, as there are some quite clear distinctions and
differences between these two emotive descriptions. It is as easy to
adopt the symptoms of Benzodiazepine withdrawal, as it is to feign a
back injury or the infamous ‘whiplash’ injury – once you have acquired
all the inside information!! Becoming thoroughly conversant with the
benzo dependency culture is only a short step to taking legal action
for compensation.

The so-called support groups are insidious, as they become a Mecca for
many ill-assorted and ofttimes very ill people – with mental health
problems. They become a ‘community’ despite the fact that everyone
involved is essentially anonymous. The ‘members’ become quite
obsessive about their postings to the groups and there are sometimes
quite frightening altercations (known as ‘flames’) between rival
members and visiting trouble-makers (known as ‘trolls’)! The effect on
a nervous membership can be quite devastating, causing extreme anxiety
and exacerbating the problems for which the members are seeking
support.

Members are encouraged to taper off all prescribed medication, as
being the root of all their problems. Scant regard is paid to the
likelihood that the pre-existing condition, for which the medication
was originally prescribed, may still be present, and that the symptoms
being experienced are nothing more or less than the symptoms of
extreme anxiety. Members are encouraged to tough out the most extreme
circumstances, for considerable lengths of time – normally months, but
several years is not unusual! They are led to believe that the only
way to eventual cure is to accept a degree of brain damage, which is
‘probably’ not permanent – but may well be so!

There is no doubt that Benzodiazepines do create ‘dependency’ in some
patients – either real or imagined. It is also unwise to cease the
medication abruptly, as unpleasant withdrawal symptoms are quite
likely to be experienced. However, in the absence of alternative
treatments, this group of drugs continues to be the main treatment for
many mental illnesses. It is therefore unfair on the medical
profession to blame them for the ills of society and to castigate them
in such a way. It is also probably unwise, as the knock-on effect is
that doctors will be reluctant to prescribe these much-needed drugs,
if the present trend continues."

John HUDSON London, England. September 19th 2001
David
2004-03-01 16:03:03 UTC
Post by John HUDSON
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 14:15:04 GMT, William Brink
[......]
the
Post by John HUDSON
[...]
John, you would be interested to know, I showed this entire thread to a
friend of mine who is a qualified shrink whose comment was that you were
entirely correct He said that you were among the more astute people that he
has come across in his entire professional career
John HUDSON
2004-03-01 18:10:57 UTC
Post by John HUDSON
[...]
Thank you David; I hope Mr Brink has noted what you have said,
although he is not likely to admit that he has been unpleasant and
difficult just for the sake of it.
William Brink
2004-03-01 19:12:19 UTC
Post by John HUDSON
Post by John HUDSON
[...]
What you wrote above has zero to do with what you started with and is a
good attempt (I will give you that) to back peddle from your poor
starting advice. Oh, and I give two shits what David's shrink had to say
on the matter.

John HUDSON
2004-03-01 19:59:10 UTC
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:12:19 GMT, William Brink
Post by William Brink
Post by John HUDSON
Post by John HUDSON
[...]
Here verbatim, is what I "started with" in reply to Brett's original
post in this thread:

"Xanax is a very good anti-anxiety medication of the Benzodiazepine
class of drugs. If you are prescribed it for such a problem, which are
extremely commonplace, it is intended for only the short-term
alleviation of symptoms, or you risk long-term dependence.

Regular and vigorous exercise is a very good way of handling anxiety
and related problems Brett, and Xanax is no bar to your full and
active participation."

What can you possibly see as controversial there, which set you off on
your journey of hate?
Post by William Brink
Oh, and I give two shits what David's shrink had to say on the matter.
Of course you don't, there is just no way you would ever have the good
grace to admit you are wrong.

You demean yourself with such conduct and I demean myself by
responding to you in similar manner. However, I have said I always
will, so........
MJL
2004-03-06 17:54:00 UTC
Post by John HUDSON
Here verbatim, is what I "started with" in reply to Brett's original
"Xanax is a very good anti-anxiety medication of the Benzodiazepine
class of drugs. If you are prescribed it for such a problem, which are
extremely commonplace, it is intended for only the short-term
alleviation of symptoms, or you risk long-term dependence.
Regular and vigorous exercise is a very good way of handling anxiety
and related problems Brett, and Xanax is no bar to your full and
active participation."
What can you possibly see as controversial there, which set you off on
your journey of hate?
The above is just not very well written. Your 2001 writing was far
better. The actual "risk" may be long term INdependence if there is a
legit need to be on a benzo for the long term. Of course in that case
then one wants something with a much longer 1/2 life.

For my 2 cents, Xanax is good for the short term treatment of anxiety
caused by a specific event in the circumstances of a person's life.
It is not suited to GAD at all. When everything is your life is fine
but your mind still races with fears all the time THEN I think that is
a different, completely, condition than an anxiety caused by an event
(like a death).

In the case of an event causing anxiety then any possible dependence
on the drug is to be avoided at all costs. THAT person CAN be
counseled into health again and the drug helps take the edge off
short-term suffering

In the case of generalized anxiety disorder there should be MUCH less
concern about dependence and rather an emphasis on making the
patient's life more enjoyable. And once again, I'd need to look into
the genetic component of GAS.
John HUDSON
2004-03-06 22:10:37 UTC
Post by MJL
Post by John HUDSON
Here verbatim, is what I "started with" in reply to Brett's original
"Xanax is a very good anti-anxiety medication of the Benzodiazepine
class of drugs. If you are prescribed it for such a problem, which are
extremely commonplace, it is intended for only the short-term
alleviation of symptoms, or you risk long-term dependence.
Regular and vigorous exercise is a very good way of handling anxiety
and related problems Brett, and Xanax is no bar to your full and
active participation."
What can you possibly see as controversial there, which set you off on
your journey of hate?
The above is just not very well written.
It was only meant as a brief reassurance to a chap who was concerned,
and who admitted it was not an appropriate topic perhaps for MFW.

MJL
2004-03-06 17:45:37 UTC
Post by John HUDSON
[...]
I would tend to agree. I don't know if John actually wrote it (if
Watson were here we'd know). In any case, the content is quite good
and I may have to dig around to see if reseach has been done on the
GABA receptor complex in those with anxiety (if is hasn't, it needs to
be done). My a priori assumption is that long-term anxiety sufferers
have genetically driven issues with these receptor complexes.

IF that is the case then all the RET in the world won't fix it and it
is simply something that needs to be medicated.
David
yes, you make good points
MJL
2004-03-07 15:20:14 UTC
Post by David
Post by MJL
I would tend to agree. I don't know if John actually wrote it (if
Watson were here we'd know). In any case, the content is quite good
and I may have to dig around to see if reseach has been done on the
GABA receptor complex in those with anxiety (if is hasn't, it needs to
be done). My a priori assumption is that long-term anxiety sufferers
have genetically driven issues with these receptor complexes.
IF that is the case then all the RET in the world won't fix it and it
is simply something that needs to be medicated.
yes, you make good points
Thanks. The more I think about it the more I believe I'd be better on
the research side of medicine. I must chat with my advisor again soon
to see how my track should be modified, if at all.

Right now I'm neck deep in studying for physics, and trying to
implement a Datamart Reporting Solution.
David
2004-03-07 20:04:13 UTC
Post by MJL
Post by David
Post by MJL
I would tend to agree. I don't know if John actually wrote it (if
Watson were here we'd know). In any case, the content is quite good
and I may have to dig around to see if reseach has been done on the
GABA receptor complex in those with anxiety (if is hasn't, it needs to
be done). My a priori assumption is that long-term anxiety sufferers
have genetically driven issues with these receptor complexes.
IF that is the case then all the RET in the world won't fix it and it
is simply something that needs to be medicated.
yes, you make good points
Thanks. The more I think about it the more I believe I'd be better on
the research side of medicine. I must chat with my advisor again soon
to see how my track should be modified, if at all.
Right now I'm neck deep in studying for physics, and trying to
implement a Datamart Reporting Solution.
yes it must be very difficult to change direction due to the training
requirements etc. My guess from your posts is that you would do it well
however!
John HUDSON
2004-03-06 22:04:59 UTC
Post by MJL
Post by John HUDSON
[...]
He did; it was originally intended as an article for a national
newspaper, but was withdrawn due to potential libel problems.

It was concerning a chap who achieved a modest settlement out of court
against his GP, for alleged malpractice concerning Benzodiazepines.
The article I posted here was amended to remove all direct reference
to 3rd parties.
Post by MJL
(if Watson were here we'd know).
What does it have to do with 'Pencil Neck'? ;o)
Post by MJL
In any case, the content is quite good
Thank you!
Which agrees by and large with what I have said.
William Brink
2004-03-01 19:09:42 UTC
Post by William Brink
Post by John HUDSON
[...]
Wow, that's alot of bullshit to cover up your poor advice from the start
John.

John HUDSON
2004-03-01 19:46:12 UTC
Post by William Brink
Post by John HUDSON
[...]
My "poor advice" is in line with the "bullshit" I wrote all that time
ago. I expect nothing else but sarcasm and criticism from you Will, as
you are so graceless that you are bound to disparage my efforts. I am
not sure why you feel the need to behave like it, as my motives were
quite sincere.

However, other more fair-minded folk will see that I wasn't talking
off the top of my head when I offered Brett assistance. They will see
that I have a great deal of interest in the subject, and not a little
knowledge, over a prolonged period of time.

I can submit a lot more articles I have written on the subject, if you
are interested and would like to broaden your own scant knowledge.
John HUDSON
2004-02-29 17:54:14 UTC
Post by John HUDSON
and is treated almost entirely by prescription drugs?
Which of course is a huge mistake and simply masks the symptoms over
addressing causes. Pharm business wins again.
Your bluster fails abysmally to disguise that you haven't a clue on
this topic.

It would be in the eternal interest of all sufferers of anxiety and
depression, if you maintained your steady flow of pro-gun nonsense,
and left them to cope with their very real problems, without your
idiotic interference!!

For a man who indicates the possession of a keen intelligence, you are
capable on occasions of extreme stupidity.
brett
2004-02-29 23:07:44 UTC
It is I, the blustering gibberish-speaking lunatic OP! Since my original
post, (a few days ago I believe it was) I'm now up to 5mg/day Xanax and have
recently become fascinated with picking the stucco off of my walls.

Ok, totally kidding.

But seriously, I am the OP, not a troll, and I just happen to be surprised
by all the chit-chat my original post has spawned. No one needs to get too
worked up about all this, because from my experience, anxiety just spawns
more anxiety, so if everyone wouldn't mind picking their underwear out of
the butts that'd be fine with me.

As for addiction / habitation / physical dependancy / etc, I'm acutely aware
of that. I've seen one person in particular turn into an actual gibbering
over-emtional idiot over the course of a short year because of some quack
over-prescribing to an overly-neurotic hypochondriac with no sense of
personal responsibility, and it was sad. She was just a walking zombie.

But as for ME, the OP, the man--I'm doing great. My questions have been
thoroughly answered, and I actually do appreciate such an assload of
information being thrown out there for my benefit. My level of neurosis
could be quantified as medium to medium-high moderate, and the 1mg / day
Xanax that I am on effectively quietens my compulsions and anxieties--in
effect, I feel normal again, whatever that is. So again, I appreciate the
abundance of concern and compassion from those who offered it.

P.S. Neal Fabian, don't ever reply to any of my posts, you schizophrenic
delusional lunatic. I have lurked here for quite some time and I know your
story as much as I care to, so fuck off!

Everyone Else, Take Care,
Brett
John HUDSON
2004-02-29 23:25:56 UTC
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:07:44 -0500, "brett"
Post by brett
[...]
You seem to have a firm grip on reality Brett and the ability to sort
the wheat from the chaff.

Enjoy your workouts with enthusiasm and vigour, and let the Xanax do
the rest.

My best wishes to you for happy and peaceful existence, free from the
symptoms for which the medication was described! ;o)
brett
2004-03-01 01:00:02 UTC
Post by John HUDSON
You seem to have a firm grip on reality Brett and the ability to sort
the wheat from the chaff.
Enjoy your workouts with enthusiasm and vigour, and let the Xanax do
the rest.
My best wishes to you for happy and peaceful existence, free from the
symptoms for which the medication was described! ;o)
Thanks man, it is appreciated.

Brett
William Brink
2004-03-01 14:17:59 UTC
Post by brett
[...]
Good luck Brett.
Post by brett
Brett

Neal Fabian
2004-03-01 19:23:46 UTC
"brett" <***@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<T46dnftCIaUV8t_dRVn-***@comcast.com>...

[snip]
Post by brett
P.S. Neal Fabian, don't ever reply to any of my posts, you schizophrenic
delusional lunatic. I have lurked here for quite some time and I know your
story as much as I care to, so fuck off!
Geez, what an outburst! Sometimes Xanax isn't enough. Sometimes they
need thorozine.

SEE THE MOVIE!
___________________________________

brett
I SAID, don't reply to me.
David Cohen
2004-03-02 02:15:31 UTC
Post by brett
Post by Neal Fabian
[snip]
Post by Neal Fabian
Post by brett
delusional lunatic. I have lurked here for quite some time and
I know
Post by brett
your
Post by Neal Fabian
Post by brett
story as much as I care to, so fuck off!
Geez, what an outburst! Sometimes Xanax isn't enough. Sometimes they
need thorozine.
I SAID, don't reply to me.
Interesting strategy. What do you estimate are the odds of it working?

David
brett
2004-03-02 07:42:04 UTC
Post by brett
Post by brett
Post by Neal Fabian
[snip]
Post by Neal Fabian
Post by brett
delusional lunatic. I have lurked here for quite some time and
I know
Post by brett
your
Post by brett
Post by Neal Fabian
need thorozine.
I SAID, don't reply to me.
Interesting strategy. What do you estimate are the odds of it working?
David
Probably a million to one.

Brett
Jim Ranieri
2004-03-02 16:23:46 UTC
Post by brett
Post by David Cohen
Post by brett
I SAID, don't reply to me.
Interesting strategy. What do you estimate are the odds of it working?
David
Probably a million to one.
I dunno, that "I SAID" did sound pretty emphatic. That can be highly
effective.
brett
2004-03-03 00:55:28 UTC
Post by Jim Ranieri
Post by brett
Post by David Cohen
Post by brett
I SAID, don't reply to me.
Interesting strategy. What do you estimate are the odds of it working?
David
Probably a million to one.
I dunno, that "I SAID" did sound pretty emphatic. That can be highly
effective.
It was the equivalent of me putting my electronic foot down. Too bad I can
only aim for his pride and not his testicles.

Brett
Neal Fabian
2004-03-04 19:28:38 UTC
Post by brett
Post by Jim Ranieri
Post by brett
Post by David Cohen
Post by brett
I SAID, don't reply to me.
Interesting strategy. What do you estimate are the odds of it working?
David
Probably a million to one.
I dunno, that "I SAID" did sound pretty emphatic. That can be highly
effective.
Ohhhh! He said "I SAID." I missed that. That DOES indicate that he
REALLY MEANT IT!
Post by brett
It was the equivalent of me putting my electronic foot down.
You have electric feet?
Post by brett
Too bad I can only aim for his pride and not his testicles.
Brett
"Pride, " and "testicles?" You know about those? Google, right?

brett wrote: "I do suffer from extreme anxiety and show symptoms of
obsessive-compulsive behavior ... I do need anti-anxiety medication to
function at a level where I can interact in society"

Are you in an inpatient facility? How's the food?

SEE THE MOVIE!
___________________________________

brett
2004-03-05 01:13:16 UTC
Post by Neal Fabian
Post by brett
Post by Jim Ranieri
Post by brett
Post by brett
Too bad I can only aim for his pride and not his testicles.
Brett
"Pride, " and "testicles?" You know about those? Google, right?
brett wrote: "I do suffer from extreme anxiety and show symptoms of
obsessive-compulsive behavior ... I do need anti-anxiety medication to
function at a level where I can interact in society"
Are you in an inpatient facility? How's the food?
I'm just going to cut to the chase and avoid all the witty run-around by
telling you to go fuck yourself. Go fuck yourself.

Brett
John M. Williams
2004-03-05 05:03:06 UTC
Post by brett
Post by Neal Fabian
brett wrote: "I do suffer from extreme anxiety and show symptoms of
obsessive-compulsive behavior ... I do need anti-anxiety medication to
function at a level where I can interact in society"
Are you in an inpatient facility? How's the food?
I'm just going to cut to the chase and avoid all the witty run-around by
telling you to go fuck yourself. Go fuck yourself.
Hey, he just asked about the food. "Neal" gets really lousy food when
they strap him down in the isolation unit.
Neal Fabian
2004-03-05 22:22:33 UTC
Post by John M. Williams
Post by brett
Post by Neal Fabian
brett wrote: "I do suffer from extreme anxiety and show symptoms of
obsessive-compulsive behavior ... I do need anti-anxiety medication to
function at a level where I can interact in society"
Are you in an inpatient facility? How's the food?
I'm just going to cut to the chase and avoid all the witty run-around by
telling you to go fuck yourself. Go fuck yourself.
Hey, he just asked about the food. "Neal" gets really lousy food when
they strap him down in the isolation unit.
I realize that's the best he can do, but for god's sake, someone
should tell him not to do it.

SEE THE MOVIE!
___________________________________

Neal Fabian
2004-03-05 21:50:35 UTC
Post by David Cohen
Post by Neal Fabian
Post by brett
Post by Jim Ranieri
Post by brett
Post by Neal Fabian
Post by brett
Post by Jim Ranieri
Post by brett
Too bad I can only aim for his pride and not his testicles.
Brett
"Pride, " and "testicles?" You know about those? Google, right?
brett wrote: "I do suffer from extreme anxiety and show symptoms of
obsessive-compulsive behavior ... I do need anti-anxiety medication to
function at a level where I can interact in society"
Are you in an inpatient facility? How's the food?
I'm just going to cut to the chase and avoid all the witty run-around
Good choice. You tend to do rather poorly in the witty run-arounds.

SEE THE MOVIE!
___________________________________

MJL
2004-03-06 18:08:55 UTC
Post by brett
[...]
Brett, however it plays out for you I think that if you are going to
be on a benzo long term that Xanax is a poor choice. It is very short
acting unless you are getting XANAX XR. Diazepam is not only active
in its original form but its metabolites are also active, it has a
lengthy 1/2 life.

Also, worthy of note is that the antianxiety effect of the benzos are
less subject to tolerance than the sedative and hypnotic (artificial
sleep) effects.

Also, benzos are not the only options for the treatment of GAS but the
others affect a variety of receptors.

I need to look into this more...can I have 25 hours a day?
Wayne S. Hill
2004-02-27 14:25:15 UTC
Post by brett
This may seem like an odd question, but...
Is anyone aware of any adverse effects that the prescription
medication Xanax would have on weight-training? I have not
trained since being prescribed (1mg / day), but I want to
get started back up soon. My main concern is if I will be
more prone to injury if I am lifting on medication. I do not
feel impaired physically, but the demands of weight training
can be quite strenuous, as we all know. Anyone with any
knowledge on this matter? Comments / advice appreciated.
What they said. You really should go to yahoo, search on Xanax,
and read the yahoo medications pages on it.
--
-Wayne